The fact that Solange Knowles has yet to receive a CFDA ‘Icon’ award is honestly criminal…but there’s always next year. The singer has come to define experimental red carpet-wear, going above and beyond for every appearance—public or otherwise—to set the standard for celebrity dressing.
Naturally, she’s a cancer, and that water energy is useful when it comes to manifesting emotion through clothes. Solange is the style chameleon of our time, from her early, overtly feminine energy throughout the early 2000s to testing the waters with deconstructed suiting, underwear-as-outerwear, and gravity-defying fabrics. Dive into Solange Knowles’ 33 best looks, in celebration of her 33rd birthday, below.
1. Medieval-inspired courtesan from the future
2. Golden Grammy goddess
3. ’60s dream girl fresh from outer space
4. See above
6. Dolly Parton’s take on “Old Town Road” via The Matrix
7. Chairman of the Broken Hearts Club
8. Pineapple chic
9. Florals for spring? [Literally] groundbreaking.
10. Hair in the heavens
11. Family affair meets the Scooby Doo universe
12. Python ready to strike
13. Cancer queen
14. Giddy up (but make it fashion)
15. Spider drip
16. Strawberry shortcake
17. Ice princess
18. Professor of first class passenger etiquette
19. “She could wear a garbage bag and stop traffic”
20. Sherbert icon
21. Rainbow fish is shaking
23. Soho socialite
24. Banana slit
25. Personified glow
26. Sex in sequins
27. Crimson sensation
28. Your cozy clothes could never
29. Mossy sea monster magic
30. Mrs. Claus from One Million Years B.C.
31. ’80s baby
32. Wolf of Wall Street
33. BDSM baddie
Happy birthday, Solange.