It’s all been building to this: Instagram wants your pictures, your attention, and now, your money.
The photo-sharing platform has become known for its effect on the fashion industry, particularly in catapulting rising models and putting new brands on right on the radar of their demographic. Now, it seems it’s capitalizing on its clout by offering a new “direct checkout” system that allows users to purchase items without leaving the app.
We might have seen it coming. The “shop now” display that takes you directly to each product is certainly more convenient than heading to the link-in-bio, and the “tap to shop” feature allows you to assess the price of an item, rather than scouring the site to find it. This is the natural next step in commerce for the platform, but it also pushes Instagram a whole lot closer to solely servicing companies. It’s like they always say: If you’re not paying for the product, you are the product.
Instagram is kicking off the launch with 20 global brands. Check out the full list, below.
- Adidas @adidaswomen
- Anastasia Beverly Hills @anastasiabeverlyhills
- Balmain @balmain
- Burberry @burberry
- ColourPop @colourpopcosmetics
- Dior @dior
- H&M @hm
- Huda Beauty @hudabeautyshop
- KKW @kkwbeauty
- Kylie Cosmetics @kyliecosmetics
- MAC Cosmetics @maccosmetics
- Michael Kors @michaelkors
- NARS @narsissist
- Nike @niketraining & @nikewomen
- NYX Cosmetics @nyxcosmetics
- Oscar de la Renta @oscardelarenta
- Ouai Hair @theouai
- Outdoor Voices @outdoorvoices
- Prada @prada
- Revolve @revolve
- Uniqlo @uniqlo
- Warby Parker @warbyparker
- Zara @zara